Like this episode? Want more?
The LBC podcast is ALWAYS free, thanks to contributions from supporters. We’d love for you to join today!
“I think some of our suffering comes from how hard we are on ourselves.”
— Leah Jolly
We have all had those clients who seem to always need us and are always texting or emailing us (you know the ones we are talking about).
When you first start your lactation business you just want to help everyone even if that means your family and personal life suffer.
But as you take on more clients, you have to start setting those boundaries or it leads to frustration and burnout.
In this episode, we talk about the boundaries we have set in our private practices and how we enforce them with clients.
Listen now to discover:
- What our businesses looked like with no boundaries (3:55)
- The types of boundaries we have set in our businesses (8:53)
- Setting boundaries with yourself (12:38)
- Trainings that have helped us in our private practices (23:17)
“If we don’t stop and place these boundaries and learn how to release the stress, then we get burned out and we don’t do our great work anymore.”
— Leah Jolly
Links and Resources
- Check out the Clinical Complexities in Private Practice individual topics: https://paperlesslactation.com/course
- Check out our deeper dives and become a member: https://paperlesslactation.com/lactation-business-coaching/
- Check out our upcoming Deeper Dive into Insurance with Rebecca Castello https://paperlesslactation.com/deeper-dive/
- Listen to our podcast episode: Intentional Time Off with Brandie Mitchell RN, NC-BC https://paperlesslactation.com/blog/intentional-time-off-with-brandie-mitchell-rn-nc-bc-podcast/
- Check out our Deeper Dive with Brandie Mitchell, RN NC-BC https://paperlesslactation.com/deeper-dive/
- Mental Health First Aid from Kirstin Cavuto, LCSW, MSW, IBCLC https://learn.anniefrisbie.com/view/courses
- Read Burn Out by Emily Nagoski, PhD and Amelia Nagoski, DMA https://www.amazon.com/Burnout-Secret-Unlocking-Stress-Cycle/dp/198481706X
1:39 – Our upcoming Deeper Dive
3:55 – Having no boundaries
8:53 – Boundaries we set in our business
12:38 – Setting boundaries with yourself
16:01 – The importance of the language you use
18:39 – Exceptions with your boundaries
23:17 – Trainings that helped us
24:19 – Mental Health Needs and boundaries
31:05 – The stress cycle
Find our Deeper Dive into Private Practice with Rachel O’Brien, MA, IBCLC, RLC + more in the Lactation Business Coaching Deeper Dive Vault. Memberships start at $15/month.
Leah Jolly is a private practice IBCLC with Bay Area Breastfeeding in Houston, Texas. Annie Frisbie is a private practice IBCLC serving Queens and Brooklyn in New York City, and the creator of the Lactation Consultant Private Practice Toolkit.