Join the conversation!
Each month we host a live Deeper Dive so you can connect with us, our special guests, and each other + get lifetime access to the recording!
“Our clients are the ones who are gonna determine the path that we’re taking, not us.”
— Annie Frisbie
Have you ever felt guilty or like a bad lactation consultant when your patients don’t get the outcome you desired?
We have been there and it’s a horrible feeling.
In this episode, we discussed how to manage our own expectations when we can’t control the outcome and how to provide validation to parents that they have done everything they can.
Lastly, we discussed the power of messaging and how it can help to bring in the right clients and help to communicate our commitment to the journey and not just the outcome.
Listen now to discover:
- How to let go of the outcome when providing guidance to clients (3:26)
- Reasons the outcome didn’t happen as you wanted it to (6:03)
- Parenting as a metaphor for letting go of the outcome (10:45)
- The power of messaging in attracting the right clients (15:06)
“None of us are perfect. Nobody’s gonna go in a consult and do it perfectly.”
— Leah Jolly
Links and Resources
- Check out the book Burnout by Emily Nagoski Ph.D. and Amelia Nagoski DMA
- Read The Resilient Practioner by Thomas M. Skovholt and Michelle Trotter-Mathison
- Join our next Deeper Dive into Messaging with Michelle Mazur on February 28, 2023
- Subscribe to the Deeper Dive Membership: https://learn.paperlesslactation.com/subscription/deeper-dive-membership
- Have an idea for a podcast episode or a Deeper Dive? Let us know! https://learn.paperlesslactation.com/form/collaborate
0:36 – Stresses of a new year
3:26 – Letting go of outcomes
6:03 – Reasons outcomes you want don’t happen
10:45 – Parenting as a metaphor
15:06 – Power of messaging
18:44 – Creating a box to let go of issues
24:10 – Focusing on the positive
Leah Jolly is a private practice IBCLC with Bay Area Breastfeeding in Houston, Texas. Annie Frisbie is a private practice IBCLC serving Queens and Brooklyn in New York City, and the creator of Paperless Lactation.
The Lactation Business Coaching podcast is produced by us and edited by Jillian Grover, who also writes our show notes. Our theme song is by Silas Wade.