Like this episode? Want more?
The LBC podcast is ALWAYS free, thanks to contributions from supporters. We’d love for you to join today!
Powered by RedCircle
“What I put into my business, my business is going to give back to me”
— Annie Frisbie
You are passionate about the clinical work you do but sometimes you can get so focused on your clients that you forget you need to nurture your business also. You didn’t become a lactation consultant because you wanted to be an entrepreneur – but here you are!
We didn’t start out with a business mindset, both of us were just excited about the opportunity to help more families. It was a hard lesson to learn that we can’t just serve our clients, but that we also need to run a business.
Treating your business and yourself as the business owner the same way you’d treat your clients means that your whole focus is on providing care. That energy builds and grows and radiates outward. You can’t care for someone else unless you are being cared for yourself.
That’s where the circle of care comes in. Listen in as we discuss how to build and maintain a strong business so that you can bring your full-self to your clients’ care.
Listen now to discover:
- How looking at your business as something that needs to be cared for shifts your focus from thinking of your business as just a bank account (3:00)
- The importance of treating your business and yourself as the business owner the same way you’d treat your clients (9:48)
- Why treating your practice as a business is not just good for you but for the clients you serve (16:50)
- How as a lactation consultant you are the beginning of the circle of care for your clients (19:33)
“Every lactation consultant wants to help all the mamas, but who’s helping us, who’s taking care of us?”
— Leah Jolly
Links and Resources
- Register for Clinical Complexities in Private Practice: https://paperlesslactation.com/course
- check out our deeper dives and become a member: https://paperlesslactation.com/lactation-business-coaching/
2:51 Not starting out with a business mindset
6:02 Shifting gears
04:12 Reflecting on what you have & use
9:28 Figuring out your business
11:38 Setting boundaries
16:28 Listening to your own advice
18:05 Self-care can be harmful
19:33 Building your circle of care
23:24 Conversation is important
Find our Deeper Dive into Private Practice with Rachel O’Brien, MA, IBCLC, RLC + more in the Lactation Business Coaching Deeper Dive Vault. Memberships start at $15/month.
Leah Jolly is a private practice IBCLC with Bay Area Breastfeeding in Houston, Texas. Annie Frisbie is a private practice IBCLC serving Queens and Brooklyn in New York City, and the creator of the Lactation Consultant Private Practice Toolkit.